Pages

July 25, 2012

Food on my own

    I've been thinking a lot lately about making food on my own.  My sister Beth and I will move out together next month, and I'll be largely cooking all my own meals.  This is fine by me (though I will definitely miss living at home during the school year), but I want to do it well.  My philosophy of food is definitely in its developing stages, but I know that, when possible, I want to eat locally grown food and prepare it in a way that will both maximize available nutrients and be tasty.  Here are a few of my plans:

  • Homemade noodles - I could make up a large batch, dry them and be set for the semester.
  • Homemade bread - I'm trying another recipe today, but this is the one I'm thinking will win.  Now, to find a dutch oven.
  • Jams and Jellies - some are made, some are still coming.
  • Quick and easy Indian food -  See guidelines below.  This needs tomatoes, so I'm thinking I'll skin, chop and freeze some while they're ripe. 
  • Eggs, with sausage from Nourishing Traditions.  This recipe is seriously the best I have ever had, and can be frozen in individual patties.
  • Vegetables, like kale!  I never thought I'd like greens, but kale is delicious!
  • Soaked oatmeal - another Nourishing Traditions recipe that's super easy.  Just one part oats to one part water, soaked overnight.  Boil another part water, add soaked mixture, and boil 3-5 minutes.  When I remember to soak it overnight...
And ideas?  

Indian-ish

For each person eating (1-2 servings):

Sauté 1/2 large or 1 whole roma tomato, 1/4 red onion in some butter. When this is very soft, you can puree it and return to the pan, or just go on the the next step.  Add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp curry powder (I like Penzeys' Maharajah curry powder), 1 clove minced garlic (unless you're one of my sisters - then add two or three), chopped chicken or pork, and a dash of salt.  Cook some more, adding water as needed, until the meat is cooked (or if you started with cooked meat, until it is heated through and the garlic is cooked) and you have a nicely thick sauce.  Finally, add 1 Tbls plain yoghurt, some chopped cilantro and a dash of cream.  There you go!  I like it on rice, noodles, or by itself.  



No comments:

Post a Comment