Pages

May 3, 2010

Summer Reading


I'd like to put together a list of books to read this summer, some theology, some mystery, some classic, or ancients, if I feel like it, (though I have my doubts as to whether or not I will), and some non-fiction. Here's what I have so far:
  • Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem - I've started, but it's going to take at least the summer to finish.
  • The 10 Big Lies about America by Micheal Medved
  • Worldliness by C.J. Mahaney et al
  • Maybe some Agatha Christy. But I don't know. I wasn't too impressed by the Miss Marple TV series. With one exception, the stories were morbid. But I have not read any of the books - those of you who have, thoughts?
That's a pretty puny list. Any ideas of what I should add to it?

Oh, and this photo and the one in the last post were taken by Beth. Aren't they pretty?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I would have never thought of reading the first few books you mentioned (they sound... hard?), but I would definitely think of reading Agatha Christie.

    My favorite is AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Read it. Just not at night. I've read a few of her other mysteries, but I didn't quite care for them, at least not as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agatha Christie is morbid, but they are pretty good mysteries. Can't beat Sherlock Holmes, but who can? :-) My problem is that I'm really sensitive to wrongdoing, I guess. Ok, so it is not a problem, but I hate violence in movies, I hate reading about murders, and I cry almost every time someone dies in a movie. Have you read persuasion by Jane Austen? Personally, I think it is her best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Good thoughts.

    Rachel - I've seen the movie based on And the There Were None, and a play that was completely twisted off of it. I liked them (except that everyone dies), so maybe I'll like the book.

    Joanna. Persuasion is a great idea! I haven't read it. I might also try Mansfield Park - I have it but I haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was blog-hopping, and since I had just started putting together a blog post on my favorite "challenge and encourage" books, I thought I'd name a few here!

    One is called "The Challenge", and it's by Carolyn. As far as I know, it can be only ordered through the mail from Zayin Publishing. Here is a link to a review and ordering information: http://www.christianamagazine.com/backissues/1998-5-6/book-reviews.html#TheChallenge

    The reason I loved the book so much, is because most of the things talked about are linked to Scripture, making it like a novel AND a Bible study! I'm not sure what your beliefs on courtship/betrothal are, but I thought this book put forth a beautiful example (not pattern) of what a godly relationship might look like!

    I would also recommend Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard, and Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. You may have already read those, though!

    I hope you have a blessed Summer!

    Abiding in Christ,
    Michelle
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    http://3sistersjourney.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete