Pages

August 21, 2010

A Summary of Summer

Busy.  That's what it was.

But since that's not a very satisfying summery, I'll tell you more.

It was a very productive summer for me, all things considered.  I started my first "official" job, sewed often, gardened, painted and spent time with family and good friends.  As for my blog... it fell to the side, but I'm ok with that - summer isn't for sitting on the computer all day.  In the winter things will pick up again, when there isn't as much to do, and I will write more often.  But right now, it's gorgeous outside, and only getting prettier while it cools down for the fall.  So go outside.  As soon as you're finished reading this post.  Or before (that would probably be better for you).  Don't you love unsolicited advice?

I also read a good deal this summer.  Here's what happened:


  • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 
  • A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup (founder of the Institute for Unsolicited Advice) 
  • About eight essays by Wendell Berry, from The Art of the Commonplace 
  • Art for God's Sake by Philip Ryken 
  • Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • Most of Comforts from the Cross by Elise Fitzpatrick
  • The Homesteader's Handbook by James E. Churchill 
These were some good books.  A Whole Nother Story was silly, witty and hilarious.  It had me in stitches!  Comforts from the Cross is a wonderful reminder and clarifier of the Gospel, and the chapters are in short chapters, perfect for coupling with your Bible reading.  Wendell Berry's essays make me want to live on a farm more than I do now - they're very inspiring.   I have the rest of my original list to look to this fall!

What did you do this summer?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment